With a historic surge in gun and ammunition purchases, reportedly spearheaded by first-time buyers, the gun community is reaching out to help with the vital next steps.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade group for the gun industry, has online gun safety videos and information available.
Most important in the NSSF guidelines are the four basic safety rules.
- Always point a firearm in a safe direction.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Treat every gun as if it were loaded. Keep it unloaded until you’re ready to use it.
- Know your target and what’s around it, including beyond it.
Beyond that, six additional rules form the group’s 10 Commandments of Safety
5. Use correct ammunition.
6. If the gun fails to fire, keep it pointed in a safe direction. Unload it, then inspect it.
7. Always wear eye and ear protection on the range.
8. Before shooting, ensure the barrel is clear of obstructions. Never look down the muzzle end of a firearm.
9. Don’t alter or modify your firearm and have it serviced frequently.
10. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of your firearm.
Gun Tubers roll out the red carpet
To lend a welcoming hand to new and first-time gun owners, gun culture personalities and influencers with large followings on social media have made special videos to encourage and support these new members of the tribe. Overall, they cover safety rules, general firearms manipulation, advice, the next steps, and an introduction to the Second Amendment.
These include Hickok45
Mr. Guns & Gear
The Military Arms Channel
Jeff Zumba (Big Shooterist)
And John Lovell (The Warrior Poet Society)