Basically, you should clean your gun holster if it’s covered with schmutz or it’s starting to stink.
We don’t have a pretty way to put this. If you take your IWB holster and you get a whiff of the funk of 40,000 years…it’s time to clean it.
It seems terribly obvious, but we might as well mention it anyway. So, how do you do that once it’s time to do so?
Cleaning Your IWB Holster With Our Multilayer Holster Base
Alien Gear Holsters designs IWB holsters and OWB holsters with a multilayer holster base, with a neoprene backing layer, a spring steel core and bound edges for carrying in comfort.
This includes the ShapeShift 4.0 IWB holster, ShapeShift Appendix Carry Holster, Cloak Tuck 3.5 IWB, Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB for revolvers, the ShapeShift Belt Slide OWB and the Cloak Belt Holster OWB holster.
These holsters are very easy to clean and maintain. Here’s how you do it:
- Remove the shell by undocking the Shift shell or loosening the bolts of the Cloak shell.
- Remove the belt clips.
- Hand-wash the holster base with a small amount of a mild, scent-free soap and water. Dish soap works pretty well, but you could use a mild fabric detergent or other soap if needed.
- Rub water into the holster base until no more suds appear; wash until the water runs clear.
- Set the holster base out to dry for a few hours; overnight is best.
- Reassemble and use as normal.
The holster shell and holster top surface can be simply wiped down with a damp cloth and then wiped dry. It’s okay to use some sort of wipe if so desired, but we just recommend wiping them down with a damp cloth or paper towel if possible.
That’s it! Just do it as needed. You could clean it every month or so if you wanted, but you don’t necessarily have to.
This procedure also applies to the Cloak Chest Holster and the holster and magazine carrier base pads on our Shoulder Holster.